You have received a product or service that does not meet your expectations, what do you do? You would, as most people would do, look at someone to complain to, mainly the company who sold said product or service to you. If you’re old fashioned and prefer writing letters over emails or phone calls, or if the other methods are not so effective, then you’ve come to the right place. Writing a formal letter of complaint is not as difficult as it may seem, and sure does bring attention to the concerned company about your dissatisfaction. It is an effective way to bring about your problems.
How to write a formal letter of complaint? Beginners Guide
- Gather all your information about the goods or services sold to you. Write down why it disappointed you and what were your expectations from it.
- Be clear and concise in what you want to bring across. An unclear description will only mislead the company.
- Do not threaten or get angry while writing a letter of complaint. Yes, it is unacceptable that you were deceived, but handling it as formal as possible will yield quicker results.
- Be brief and direct about your problem. Writing a lengthy, haphazard letter will only make them not review your letter. Instead, make it as crisp, sharp and to the point as possible.
- Pictures or proof of your faulty product should be included. No one will believe a claim made unless it has proof.
- Add in copies of the receipts of your purchase. This will be extra proof of your buying.
- Include your details such as name and contact information. If you want them to revert back to you, you should always include your details before sending the letter.
How to Write an Effective Complaint Letter?
Directly Address the Customer Service Department
Sending your letter directly to the customer service department will ensure that your letter gets received by the right people. They are after taking in complaints, so they are sure to handle your issue effectively. Start off the letter with Mr., Miss., or Mrs., followed by their surname. If you do not know their name, you can just include Sir or Ma’am. Usually, you will find their contact information online or on their website.
Write to the point
Make sure your letter is brief, crisp and to the point. The first sentence of your letter should state your problem and issues with the product or service. Do not ramble on about it. Include all relevant information such as date, time and location of purchase as well as any sort of order number or product number. Explain it to them as clearly as possible what you felt went wrong.
Mention what end action you want to take
Whether it be a refund, exchange or return, write down what steps you want taken. Do not threaten or be rude. You want to keep a cordial relationship with them and try to move forward past this blunder.
Set a time frame to resolve the problem
If you set a time limit, they will take an initiative at the earliest to revert back. One or two weeks is sufficient, anything longer or shorter will just result in delays or haphazard work.
Do supply copies of supporting documents
Proof of purchase of products or service is required to cross verify. Always attach copies because if in an unfortunate event they get lost you will still have the originals with you. Mention that you have attached these documents.
Sign off respectfully
Thank them for their assistance and include your contact information where they can reach you. End the letter with either “Yours Sincerely” or “Yours Faithfully”, followed by your name.
Also Read: How to Write a Hypothesis?
Complaint Letter Template – A Sample Letter of Complaint
Dress to Impress Inc,
Real Estate Road, near the gas station
- O. Box 931
Date: 24th January 2019
Subject: Misrepresentation of products.
Dear Sir/ Ma’am,
It is with great regret that I want to bring to your notice that the dresses that I had ordered on the 20th of January, 2019 did not meet what you have shown online at all. My purchase number is 2345 and attached to this letter is my order bill. I made a purchase of ten different types of outfits, out of which only two of them were of the right fit and stitching. Your website guaranteed that all the dresses are machine stitched to perfection, but most of them have stitches coming off the seams! And even though I had chosen the standard size for all of them, some of them were too big and some too small. Why is there no consistency in your products? It is so disappointing that I have invested in your merchandises, only to get something completely out of my wildest thoughts.
I have tried contacting your customer care team, only to be told that I got the wrong number over and over again. Please do update your contact information online to save us some heartache.
As a final and upsetting call, I want to make a return on all my dresses and I do expect a full refund ASAP. I hope you will do this much for me at the very least.
Secret Dress Shopper
Phone: 481902 63719